Friday, February 4, 2011

Who's in My Pond

I was snipping down the tansy (upper right, looks fern-like most of the time) when I heard a 'plop'.  I hadn't seen anything fall into the pond but  I peered over, searching for whatever might have made a 'plop' ... and saw nothing. Since I was also making dog food, I had to go back inside and give it a stir.  Then I decided I really should do those few dishes in the sink - but wait, first I must empty the dishwasher. Eventually I got back outside, decided the plop meant nothing and went back to my pruning. There it went again - 'Plop'.  I didn't imagine it this time because I saw what made the plop - a frog the size of the palm of my hand, red and dark olive green.  Once in the water, it has plenty of under-a-rock places to hide so that was the last I saw of it.  Realizing that I had just about finished demolishing it's protective cover, I collected all the clippings and gently laid them back where they had been growing, hoping that my little buddy won't leave to find a more amenable home elsewhere. Later in the day, I pulled out my Peterson's Guide to look up my newest 'pet'.  I believe what I have in/around my pond is a Red Legged Frog.  I have yet to hear any frog-song, so I'm guessing it might be a female. BTW: the rather ugly wire fencing is a necessity - keeps out the raccoons.  Aside from eating anything that swims in my pond, the raccoons must have rock throwing contests at night - if the mess they leave is any indication.

No comments: